Refurbishment of a Grade II listed art deco house designed by architects Kemp & Tasker c. 1936. This large family house is a fine example of 1930’s British architecture. Its characteristic facades and lavish interiors – both Grade II listed – required extensive repairs and refurbishment by the time the property was purchased by our client. A careful process of restoration and conservation had to be undertaken, preserving its original beauty whilst allowing it to accommodate the requirements of a 21st century family. The original layout remains largely unchanged, with the exception of the kitchen and dining room. Initially separated, the two spaces are now connected to create a generous and lively family room. Two large walnut sliding doors allow each space to function separately for specific occasions. The original kitchen had long been demolished, and no records of its layout or appearance was found. The new kitchen had to accommodate all the equipment that is expected to be found in a family house of this status, while seamlessly blending in with the distinctive and refined interiors. The cabinetry draws inspiration from art deco furniture. Shapes, colours and materials were carefully selected to be in keeping with the spirit of the era. Rare ironmongery and reclaimed materials were sourced and added to the design.
On the first floor, the 4 generous bedrooms were restored to their original grandeur. The marble and onyx bathrooms and vanities were repaired; plasterwork and joinery were stripped back to their original state; once neglected terraces are now lushly planted and lively spaces. A corridor leading from the main bedroom to a private terrace was transformed into a dressing room. The walnut and oak cabinetry lining every wall of this room confers a warm and comfortable atmosphere. A small staircase leading to a roof annex that had been demolished has been rebuilt. The roof annex was extended, with a generous top lit hallway leading to an additional bedroom and bathroom. The extension is fitted with exact replicas of the original steel casement windows, and constructed with reclaimed bricks from demolished parts of the building. As in the floor below, the bathroom is a lavish room, clad with onyx marble and peach mirrors. Classic colours, furniture and fabrics, sourced by Camilla Ashforth, complete the reinstated grandeur of this unique house.