Refurbishment of a Grade II listed Italianate house designed by Thomas Allom c. 1853.
This large early Victorian house was fully refurbished to suit modern family living whilst retaining most of its fine period features. Though the house benefits from the use of Stanley Gardens to the rear, it lacked any private external space, so a sunken courtyard was created which was paved with Portland limestone to reflect the sun into the basement rooms.
The layout of the ground floor had been remodeled over the years and had become quite dark with convoluted circulation routes. The hallway was widened and access routes simplified to create a sunny, welcoming space with grand doorways leading onto the principle rooms and an inviting stairway down to the lower ground floor. The first floor now houses the master suite comprising a spacious bedroom with views over the gardens, a generous bathroom, steam room, dressing room and useful compact kitchen.
The upper floors had been divided into many smaller rooms and these were rationalised into two children’s bedrooms, a guest suite and a staff flat with kitchenette. The layout of the lower ground floor was substantially altered to produce a spectacular and well appointed kitchen – including a walk-in fridge, steam ovens and a small pantry – linked through to a playroom complete with a stage and theatrical lighting.
Exceptional cabinetry of European Walnut was fitted into the study, living room and dressing rooms. Inlaid parquet flooring and oak boards were installed throughout the house with underfloor heating added on the principal floors. Bespoke light fittings were designed for several rooms, a centralised sound system with invisible speakers was fitted throughout and carpets were woven for the stairs and other main rooms.
Classic colours, furniture and fabrics, sourced by Camilla Ashforth, create a luxurious atmosphere within a house that has become a practical and peaceful family home.