Refurbishment and remodelling of 19th century Rectory
Comprehensive refurbishment and remodelling of a 19th century Rectory.
This traditional Cotswold house, set within large landscaped grounds, was constructed in 1872 in the Gothic Revival style. The original layout had evolved over time through several extensions and additions, resulting in a confused internal arrangement with several level changes on each floor. Furthermore, in common with many houses built at that time, there was a lack of any large rooms suitable for use by all the family.
The layout of the rooms was therefore rationalised and floor levels were adjusted to create convenient modern accommodation, with a large kitchen/dining room, a living room/media room and 8 bedrooms including a master en-suite bedroom suite with attached dressing room. Other accommodation includes a billiard room, a study, a pantry, utility and mud rooms and a large attic store. A separate building containing a staff flat, garage and underground plant room was constructed adjacent to the house using stone reclaimed from the demolition of various small outbuildings – this plant room houses a wood pellet bio-mass boiler as well as equipment for the external pool.
The most significant internal alteration was the creation of a triple height entrance hall with a specially designed carved oak staircase which allows the scale of the building to be experienced immediately on entering the space. This staircase, supplemented by a simple back stair, links the three main floors with a new basement containing a wine store.
Throughout the internal spaces we worked closely with the client to create designs which drew on the history of the house (whilst not slavishly following it), which allowed the client’s individual taste to be expressed through specially commissioned details such as the encaustic floor tiles and other bespoke items such as the carved stone shower enclosure for the master bathroom.